My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit -- http://blog.saurabhj.com and update your bookmarks.

Monday, August 09, 2004

Ordinary people, Extra-ordinary deeds ...

Every once in two weeks, I make a trip ... not so much out of choice, as out of compulsion ... to the local flour mill.
In the beginning, we had our own mini flour mill at home ... and all was good.
Then, my mother realised, which was inevitable anyways, that the small mill took ages to churn out even 250 grams of flour, distributed the flour evenly across the entire kitchen, put more out than in ... and basically wasn't worth the time and effort to grind the 5 kgs of wheat every two weeks ...

Then came the packaged flour bags ... and all was good.
Later, the paranoia - the wheat was old, and flour stale which was packed in the bags, set in ... soon the rotis were not soft enough ... and the parathas weren't tasty enough ...
So ... we ( my mom ) switched back to the tried and tested method of :
a:> Procure the required quantity of wheat from the local grocer
b:> Clean it
c:> Send the kid in the house ( the one who doesn't have any work anyways ) to get the wheat ground ...

Earlier, it was a pain in the ___ to have to lug the five kg drum ?? onto my Kinetic ( sunny sometime ago ) ... drive a kilometer ... wait for an hour and then drive back ...
But then, we got lucky ...
This flour guy opened a mill just 20 seconds away from our place ...

That guy turned out to be a nice fellow ...
Generally, I do not really start talking to new people ... but this fellow started ...
Soon, we would chat about various things everytime I waited for my turn ...
Now, I trust this fellow completely ... leaving and returning back to collect the flour later ...
I even get higher priority in a queue ...

I do realise, that this is a thankless job ...
Sitting in the flour covered environment the entire day, doing the same monotonous work day in and day out ... getting raked over the coals every time you delay someone ...
A thank you goes a long way ...

Another group of people that I really am grateful to are the ones where in I pay my electricity bill ... Now this might sound really dopey ... but its true ...
This place is about 3 kms from my place ... a collecting agency hired by the MSEB ...
What is remarkable and admirable about them ( father and son ) is that they are open from 8 to 8 ( sometimes later than that, because I remember paying forgotten bills as late as 9 pm) ... even on Sundays and holidays ...
On many occasions, they have filled in the details behind the cheque without grumbling ... always courteous ...
They make, an otherwise, drab MSEB ... full of babudom, look better ... and make life so much easier for us ...

Lastly, I would mention our postman ...
A jolly fellow ... has been with us as long as I can remember ...
What strikes me about this fellow is the dedication and zest with which he does his job ...
Be it raining or sunny, he's always there to drop in the mail ...
Many a times, when we aren't at home and the mail is registered, he has pedalled on his cycle an additional 2 kms to drop it in my mom's clinic ...
So many times, he has brought in the same mail day after day when we are on vacation ... when he could have dropped a note asking us to pick it up from the are post office ...
I am really grateful to this guy :)

Hats of to all these people ... my unsung heroes ...

3 comments:

Hawkeye said...

good blog! i am nithin's cousin. the guy from hawkeyeview.blogspot.com :-)

I remember my visits to four mills for my grandma.. its tough i know..

hey can u help me with these :-)

1) how do u add other bloggers as links in our blog
2) how do u stick pictures in the blog..
3) the recent blog links on the left side of my blog seems to have dropped dooown. how do i get it up !

Saurabh said...

Hey !
Thanks for checking out my blog .. still a newbie here ...

Anyways, this is how you do the following stuff :

1) how do u add other bloggers as links in our blog
>> I don't think there is a system to add your other blogger friends to a list of friends ... But you can add links ...
If you are using the Blogger composer, there is a button up there which allows you to add links by selecting text, and choosing a link ...
If you post via email, I think ( not sure ) that you can use good ol' HTML tags like : text to display goes here I think that you can add friends to your blogs ( all pages .. maybe links on the right ? ) by hacking the code from the template and modifying it to suit your requirements ...

2) how do u stick pictures in the blog..
>> Ahh ... This took some research.
You can either post the image link hosted elsewhere ( by using the img tag ) or use the composer.
A simpler way, however, is to download this tool called Hello from Picassa ... It is used for Photoblogging ... sign up for an account and then add this friend in the client called : "BloggerBot"
Any pictures you send to BloggerBot get stored on the Picassa / Hello servers and a copy gets blogged in your account ...
You can then edit the blog and type text below.

To add a picture, do the following as above, get the link of the image from the blog, delete the blog and paste the image link on your profile ... thats it.
You can download hello from : http://www.hello.com

3) the recent blog links on the left side of my blog seems to have dropped dooown. how do i get it up !
>> I think this is some template problem ... So you can either modify your template using Raw code if you know how to, choose a new template, or re-apply your current template.
Its a trial error method ...

I hope this helps :)

Saurabh said...

Oops ... the above code to display the link got embedded into the page ( which atleast proves that this thing works )

Anyways, the code is as follows :

<_a_ _href_ = "Link goes here"> Text to display goes here <_/_a_>

**Ignore all the underscores (_)