My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit -- http://blog.saurabhj.com and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, September 18, 2005

The whole people - importance thingy ...

This blog will be on a different note ... I will be deviating from my usual "trying to be funny" blogs ..

This does not concern with any person in particular, but an ideology in general ...
Why do people expect to be treated with importance ?

By this, I dont mean, the regular respect and courtesy which every individual has a right too ... but I mean, people, who feel offended, if not shown respect too ...
Or the ones, who need that constant licking, so that they feel alright ...

I mean, its not the man, but the achievement which commands the respect ... doesn't it ?
How many of us, admire Bill Gates, not for the money he has ... but the way he's earned it ?

In the past, I have come across so many individuals ... professors, people working in Govt Organisations, etc etc ... who want to be so badly treated with respect ...
We had a professor once, who would start off most of his lectures with .. I did this ... I did that ...
And, the entire class had to sit and tolerate all the non sense, only because our 50 marks were in his hands ...

Isn't the importance you associate with a person - in context ?
Like, we have a prof back in my junior college, whom I respect a lot ...
He told us this thing ... which I want to share now ...

I think, his point was, that there is no practical use of doing Trignometry and Calculus and all that stuff if you really wouldn't want to use it ever ...
He said, that if you go to a rickshawala, and tell him that you have a Phd in Mathematics or something like that ... his reply would most probably be ...
"Who gives a damn ? How does your Phd make a difference to me ?"

The point which I want to state is that everything is in context ...
If you were a PhD in Maths and were talking to a MSc, he would be pretty impressed, but I guess the rickshawala wouldnt care a damn ...

For example, when I were to meet my dad's boss in a wedding, is it supposed to make a difference to me ?
He is my 'dads' boss ... not mine ...
Why should I treat him any differently ...

Wanted to add another point of view ... The entire 'standards' thingy ...
A person might be very important ... if you believe in the same standards as he does.
What if you dont accept the same standards which make the person worthy of importance ...

Like, the people who wrote the constitution of India, felt that the backward class people and related reserved sections of the society, should have a quota reserved for them in Educational institutes, because they need it ...

I believe that if a person wants to pursue a course, he should be worthy of it, and be able to get it on his own merit.
Though that person ( who made the reservations ) would be God for some people, he doesn't make any difference to me ... because I don't believe in his standards ....
On the contrary, I kinda hate him ...

Average students who slog hard throughout their lives and end up with 80 - 85 percent marks, get admission in the second best colleges, end up paying 50 grand a year for their degree ... while the reserved category people, with 60% marks get into the best colleges, finish a 4 year course in 8 years ... that too if they are lucky ...

After all, paying a fees of 5 grand a year is peanuts, when your peers are paying 50 grand which also makes up for bulk of your fees ...

All this, just because you are worthy of studying in the college where you got admission, and they, because they have the need to ...

8 comments:

jomy said...

Hey ,

wheres the connection jyyne ??
Important people ...their importance ... then the backward class thing ...then Engg fees ...??

Doesn't Link ....

Shalini said...

wait lemme read once more...i forgot what i wanted to say.. ;-)

Shalini said...

ya.. i LOVE what ur professor said about the rikshawwalla thing..and i totally understand it..!

Also i agree with the RESERVATION thing...as anyone paying 50 grand would probably do!

Importance...is a relative thing my friend...! right???

Once a certain senior told me when i was in TE that there are 4 teachers who teach mostly BE...two good,and two...well..not so good. And the NOT so good ones...will expect you to STAND when they enter class....nad probably get pissed or hold it against you if i did'nt!
YOU will be standing when the GOOD ones enter class...and they will ask you to take your seat..!
Now leaving out the fact that most of us stand up for all the teachers...u'll probably understand which four I'm refering to...!


Anyway...good thought!
keep writing...
lol

Aswin Anand T.H. said...

hi!! as *Mirage* put it, i had an horrible experience in my school, when the teacher made the whole class of 30 to kneel down for 2 hrs jes bcos v didnt stand up immediately when she entered the class.

btw, ur blog is gud & i came to know abt it frm yuvi's blog.

Saurabh said...

I guess its alright, at the end of the day ...

The world is a more interesting place, because of people like these ...

Plus, it gives me stuff to blog about ...
ehehe ...

Sorry for jumping topics ... though, they were quite related ...

Makdt said...

well getting in on 60 percent in engineering is as bad as getting in in 40 %. What worries me more is reservation in Medical also.....imagin how people will die at incapable hands....

Aditya Pethe said...

Hey Saurabh.Great to see u blogging.BTW from MESCOEites I,Udas and Shriniwas all have blogs. Do check them out dude.

"Average students who slog hard throughout their lives and end up with 80 - 85 percent marks, get admission in the second best colleges, end up paying 50 grand a year for their degree ... while the reserved category people, with 60% marks get into the best colleges, finish a 4 year course in 8 years ... that too if they are lucky ..."

Ahh .could not agree more.. Nice post.Keep bloggin...

Yuvi Panda said...

As It's said, couldn't agree more! But, sadly, in india, it seems terms like merit, talent, worth aren't understood:(